As an SEO, I’m obsessed with Title Tags and Meta descriptions.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to use AI to generate competitive and customizable title tags and meta descriptions.
I’ll also show you how to do it in a bulk run, creating title tags and meta descriptions for a whole set of pages in one run.
Google may increasingly change or ignore titles and metas. But that doesn’t stop me from continuously trying to improve and optimize them.
Later in this guide, I’ll also share a case study. I’ll show you how simply updating a title tag and meta description turned an old page around and started bringing in hundreds more clicks a month.
ChatGPT & OpenAI’s struggle to generate good titles and metas
Using AI to generate title tags and meta descriptions is more difficult than it sounds.
It’s easy in theory. However, incorporating all the SEO nuances to make titles and meta descriptions is a challenge. It’s impossible for tools like ChatGPT at default.
My secret is input from the SERPs. I incorporate the keywords and phrases that are common on the top-ranking search results for the query. The only challenge is doing this at scale.
That’s why this week I built an app that does just that.
It performs a Google Search for your search term. Then it scrapes the results. It takes note of the keywords and phrases being used by the top-ranking pages.
It crafts a title tag and meta description fit to compete with the top pages on that SERP.
Features of my SERP extracting Title Tag and Meta Description Generator
It accepts modifiers for the title and meta input. You can add a specific brand name to the end of your title like “Nike.com”.
You can also specify that your meta description should mention free shipping. Or specify who a product is for.
The “who it’s for” modifier is powerful for e-commerce descriptions. Here’s the output for the above example:
Title Tag: Nike Pegasus 40 Road Running Shoes. Nike.com
Meta Description: Designed for road runners, the Nike Pegasus 40 offers comfort and performance. Ideal for long distances, these shoes provide a nice feel and enough room for your toes. Shop now at Nike.com.
Those are just e-commerce examples. With the modifiers, you can tune it for your industry like travel, loans, or anything else.
What are title tags and meta descriptions?
Title tags and meta descriptions are crucial elements of SEO that appear in the HTML of your webpage. They provide a summary of your page’s content and are displayed in search engine results. The title tag is the clickable headline that appears in search results and is crucial for usability, SEO, and social sharing. The meta description is a 160-character snippet that summarises a page’s content.
Why title tags and meta descriptions still matter for SEO
Title tags and meta descriptions are fundamental elements of SEO. They serve as a preview of your content and can influence a user’s decision to click on your website. They can directly impact your website’s click-through rate (CTR), user engagement, and ultimately, your search engine ranking.
It’s important to note that meta descriptions do not impact ranking. They only impact click-through rates. I’ve found that keywords and search query relevance still play a big role in CTR.
Generate Title Tags and Meta Descriptions at scale for a set of pages
Take some time to adjust the modifiers and get the Title Tag and Meta Description output the way you like it. Then you can run it at scale for a set of pages with Moonlit’s bulk run feature.
In my example, I ran it for a set of pages on Nike Air Max men’s shoes.
It generated over 20 SERP-worthy title tags and meta descriptions in about 5 minutes.
Examples of title tags and meta descriptions this app generates
This app is still far from perfect. We aren’t out of a job yet.
This app’s titles and metas are better than many AI tools. it can certainly help SEOs save countless hours.
However, the outputs still need some cleanup and a human touch.
Example titles and metas generated:
- Target Keyword: Nike air max penny mens
- Title Tag: Nike Air Max Penny Men’s Shoes – Shop Now at Nike.com
- Meta Description: Shop the latest Nike Air Max Penny men’s shoes at Nike.com. Ideal for basketball enthusiasts, these shoes offer style and performance. Explore the collection now!
- Target Keyword: Nike Air Max slides mens
- Title Tag: Nike Air Max Slides for Men. Nike.com
- Meta Description: Shop the latest Nike Air Max slides for men at Nike.com. Ideal for casual wear and designed for comfort. Explore our collection now!
- Target Keyword: nike air max 97 mens
- Title Tag: Nike Air Max 97 Men’s Shoes – Shop the Latest Collection
- Meta Description: Discover the latest collection of Nike Air Max 97 men’s shoes. Ideal for sneaker enthusiasts, these shoes offer style and comfort. Shop now on Nike.com.
- Target Keyword: Nike mens air max 270
- Title Tag: Nike Mens Air Max 270 Shoes. Nike.com
- Meta Description: Designed for ultimate comfort and style, Nike Mens Air Max 270 shoes are ideal for athletes and sneaker enthusiasts. Shop now at Nike.com for the latest collection.
- Target Keyword: mens Nike Air Max sc
- Title Tag: Nike Air Max SC Men’s Shoes. Designed for Style and Comfort. Nike.com
- Meta Description: The Nike Air Max SC Men’s Shoes offer a perfect blend of style and comfort, designed to cater to athletes and sneaker enthusiasts. Shop at Nike.com to experience fashion-forward footwear.
Mini case study: effects of changing one title tag and meta description
Here’s an example of a page where all I did was update the title tag and meta description. In the past, this page generated traffic. But after a Google update, it went to zero.
I updated the title tag and meta description and it started getting clicks and traffic again. It still got beat up by future algorithm updates. But it goes to show how impactful using the right keywords and phrases can be.
Now imagine that applied across hundreds or thousands of pages. Small gains multiplied by hundreds of pages add up quickly.
Customize or build your own title tag and meta description generator
Getting title tags and meta descriptions just right is tricky. It requires a high level of customization.
The bulk of the work this app is doing is behind the scenes. It uses very specific prompts. I’ve spent several hours testing and improving these prompts to get better outputs.
If you want further customization for this app, join the AI SEO Academy
It’s my online community for those who want to learn how to use AI tools and strategies to improve their SEO.
I teach members how to clone, customize, and build apps just like this one.